September 26, 2019
4:30 – 6:00 pm
District Office Conference Room
I. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 4:50 pm when a quorum was established.
II. Establishment of Quorum
In attendance: Chair Grier Graff; Vice Chair Julie Caskey; members Kyung-Hee Howard, Kim Dao, Andy Hempeck, Jonathan Levine, and Melissa Wilk ; PUSD Board members Amal Smith and Cory Smegal; and PUSD staff Pete Palmer, Ruth Alahydoian, Michael Brady, and Julie Moll. (Adam Christiansen was absent.)
III. Public Comment
The Committee made agenda adjustments to change the order of items.
IV. Construction Update
Michael Brady, Program Manager
Pete Palmer, Construction Manager
Staff presented a slideshow of Summer 2019 projects funded with Measure H1 funds, including construction of the new STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Mathematics) building foundation and other projects. The slideshow is available at measureh1.org.
Construction continues on schedule, with STEAM building completion expected in August 2020, and performing arts/new Alan Harvey Theater building completion expected in the Fall of 2021.
The main summer work included:
- Construction of the STEAM foundation, which is unusually stout because the site is so close to the Hayward Fault.
- Re-routing and installation of underground utilities for both the STEAM and new performing arts buildings. This included rerouting of sewer, storm, fire sprinkler, power, water, gas and data/fiber/fire alarm lines and the relocation of the central Fire Alarm Control Panel. The underground utilities work for both buildings is now completed.
- Installation of new, highly-energy-efficient climate control systems in the PHS Library building, making it possible to retire an old boiler that was well beyond its useful life.
The District had an ambitious schedule for the summer underground utilities work, which required an open trench through the PHS breezeway. For safety, and for the smooth operation of the high schools, the District had to complete this work, close the trench, and pave the breezeway before staff and students returned to campus. A range of unexpected challenges put additional pressure on the schedule. For example:
- The poor condition of existing pipe and valves made it impossible to connect to the new utilities. As a result, the District was required to do additional trenching and boring and replace the deteriorated pipes and valves.
- A previously undetected void under the PHS breezeway made it necessary to demolish, regrade, and repave the entire breezeway. This added significant time and expense because the concrete base under the tiled breezeway was over one foot thick, and this increased the amount of debris to be hauled off site.
- Staff encountered and had to relocate or work around previously unknown underground structures and utilities.
- Excavation was complicated by the fact that bedrock beneath the breezeway was closer to the surface and more extensive than originally expected.
Also, working with EBMUD, the Piedmont First Department, and a civil engineer, the District elected to modify the design of the fire sprinkler system, expanding the project scope.
Since the summer, Overaa completed the foundation and basement slab and has started installing structural steel.
V. Approval of March 28, 2019 Minutes
Moved: Jonathan Levine
Seconded: Andy Hempeck
There was no public comment.
VI. Performing Arts Center/New Alan Harvey Theater Update
The California Division of State Architect is continuing its review of plans for the Performing Arts Center/New Alan Harvey Theater. Final comments are expected in March.
VII. Program Budget Update
Ruth Alahydoian, Chief Financial Officer
The following report is through June 30, 2019, so it does not include Summer 2019 work or the second bond issuance. The Citizens Bond Oversight Committee has already reviewed the financial reports for 2016-17 and 2017-18, and the Committee will review the reports for 2018-19 in March 2020.
The District has now issued the second of three tranches of the Measure H1 bonds. The following presentation, originally shared with the Board of Education, was discussed:
VIII. Future Agenda Items
The December 19 meeting will start at 5:00 pm and end at 6:00 pm. At the March 26 meeting, the Committee will revisit the meeting times.
IX. Confirmation of Meeting Dates
- December 19, 2019
- March 26, 2020
- June 25, 2020
The meeting adjourned at 5:45.
The next meeting will be on December 19, 2019 at 5:00 in the District Office Conference Room.